serves 2 for three days, or 4-6 small servings
- 1/4 lb lamb, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/8 tsp saffron
- 1 Tbl paprika
- 4-5 c chicken stock (not broth)
- 1 soup bone
- 1/2 Tbl butter
- 1 Tbl salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 c chana dal (baby chickpeas)
- 1/4 c dried fava beans, washed and dried
- 2 1/2 Tbl all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c water
- 3/4 lb tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander
- 1/4 c cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1 /2 Tbl butter
- 3 Tbl vermicelli
- 1 /2 lemon, juiced
- Brown the lamb, onion, saffron and paprika (to taste) in a deep pan.
- Add 3 cups of chicken stock, soup bone, butter, salt, pepper, chana dal, and the dried fava beans.
- Begin soaking flour in 1/2 c. water.
- Simmer, covered, for 2 hours or more (4 hours is ideal).
- 20 minutes before serving, put the tomatoes, parsley, coriander, and flour/water paste in a blender and add to the soup pan with the chickpeas.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of stock, and when it returns to boil, add the vermicelli.
- When the vermicelli is cooked, add butter and lemon juice.
- Serve each bowl with a wedge of lemon.
place of flour and water if that mixture was not made night before; rice may be substituted for vermicelli.
A soup served each night at sundown to break the Ramadan Fast.
This receipe is altered from COOKING IN MOROCCO by the American Women's Association of Rabat.