These pitas were excellent - very soft, fluffy, and even with the required 'pocket' inside!
Great paired with hummus for a potluck.
Makes 8 pitas
Baking+rising time: ~3hrs
1-1/4 cups whole milk
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 c whole wheat chappati flour
1 c King Arthur Bread Flour
1 c Fairhaven red wheat high-gluten all-purpose flour
bread flour for extra sprinkling
1 1/2 tsp salt
1.5 Tbl sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Warm milk in microwave in a glass measuring cup for 30 seconds. Stir, and warm another 30 seconds.
- Pour out 1/4 cup into a small bowl and sprinkle yeast into it. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Put flours, salt, and sugar into KitchenAid.
- Mix with paddle until yeast is done.
- Make a well, and pour in yeast, milk, and olive oil.
- Mix with paddle until incorporated.
- Switch to a dough hook, and knead for 3-5 minutes, adding flour or water to make a soft dough.
- Oil a metal bowl. Put dough into bowl, move around so it has a layer of oil.
- Let rise for ~1 hour in a warm place.
- Punch down, and cut into 8 pieces.
- Roll into balls, then let rest for 15 minutes.
- Shape balls into flat, 5-inch pancakes, and let rise 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a baking or pizza stone into the oven and preheat to 450F. (an upside-down cookie sheet can double as a baking stone)
- Put three to four pitas at a time onto baking stone and bake for 3-4 minutes, until puffed but not brown.
- Wrap in a damp towel to keep warm.